Relatives of the Jordanian pilot who was captured by the forces of the Islamic State after his plane was shot down with an anti-aircraft missile near Raqa city, congregate in front of his family's home in the city of Karak December 24, 2014. [Photo/Agencies]
AMMAN - Jordan on Wednesday said it will continue its war on terrorism and terrorist groups to defend Islam.
In an interview at the state-run Jordan Television, Minister of State for Media Affairs Mohammad Momani said the government voiced solidarity with the family and tribe of the pilot captured by IS early Wednesday.
The Islamic State (IS) militants posted online photos purporting to show the captured Jordanian pilot, whose war jet was downed by the IS over Syria's northern province of al-Raqqa earlier on Wednesday, according to pro-government online media.
"When we entered the US-led coalition against the Islamic State, we knew there will be losses such as some taken hostages or even martyrs. We will continue our war on terror and to defend the homeland," Momani said.
The pilot was part of a group of Jordanian fighter jets conducting a military mission against the IS terrorist organization.
"Jordan holds the Islamic State accountable for the safety of the pilot and preserving his life," the army said.
Relatives of the captured pilot, Mouath Kasasbeh, called on the authorities to take efforts to secure his release.
Earlier, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that the IS militants have downed a war jet that is believed to belong to the international anti-terror coalition near Syria's northern al-Raqqa province. The pilot's fate remains unknown.
The pan-Arab al-Mayadeen TV cited IS reports as saying that they downed the plane over al-Raqqa and captured its Jordanian pilot.
The US-led anti-terror coalition has been striking IS positions in Syria since September, in which many Arab countries, including Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, have participated.