BERLIN, Oct 23 - German Economy Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg, 37, looks set to take on the defence portfolio in the incoming centre-right government, sources in the ruling conservatives said on Friday.
A member of the German aristocracy, Guttenberg belongs to the Christian Social Union (CSU), the Bavarian sister party of Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democrats (CDU).
Following are five facts about Guttenberg:
* Guttenberg rose from obscurity to become one of Germany's most popular politicians after he was appointed economy minister in February, and won plaudits for his independent stance on Berlin's efforts to rescue car maker Opel.
* A noted fan of Australian rockers AC/DC, Guttenberg won a bigger share of votes in his constituency than any other politician in September's federal election. He secured more than 68 percent, nearly 20 percentage points more than Merkel, and regularly polls among Germany's most popular politicians.
* Before taking the reins at the economy ministry, Guttenberg was best known as an expert on foreign policy. A member of the German Council on Foreign Relations, he headed the German-British parliamentary group in the Bundestag last year.
* Married to a great-great granddaughter of former German chancellor Otto von Bismarck, the Roman Catholic Guttenberg has two daughters, and has sat in the Bundestag since 2002.
* Famous for his slicked-back hair and steel-rimmed glasses, Guttenberg did military service with a mountain infantry battalion before studying law and politics. Members of his family belonged to the German resistance to Adolf Hitler.