We just found a very nice guide published by Slaughter, a manufacturer of testing equipment.
This Guide to Electrical Safety Testing is free to access on the internet.
Here is what it explains:
- What is class I and what is class II
- The two lines fo defense to protect the user from electrical shock (insulation, and safety grounds)
- What tests are to be performed on samples, and what tests are to be done on 100% of products
- Types of injuries that can be induced by electrical shocks
- How to set up a safe workstation (with nice graphics)
- Checklist for setting up a safe test station
- Clear explanation of the hipot test
- Clear explanation of the ground continuity and the ground bond tests (and which one to apply)
- Clear explanation of the insulation resistance test
- Chart with settings for most common tests and standards
If you work with electrical products, especially for sale in the US, I strongly suggest you get that document!